With just one week left in the semester, I’m currently trying to clean out my fridge before I go home for a month. Since there will be no more trips to the grocery store, it’s time to get creative with what I have. That’s where this Kale Mac and Cheese came in!
Made with coconut milk and brown rice/quinoa pasta, this is a lightened up version with an added burst of glowing green kale.
It’s the perfect recipe for a cold night or whenever you’re craving some cheesy goodness, without feeling heavy and sluggish afterwards! This recipe is a single serving, so make sure you double or triple it for multiple people.
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Brown Rice and Quinoa Pasta (regular and whole wheat work too!)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (I used part skim)
- 2 handfuls chopped kale (more or less depending on personal preference)
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- Sprinkle of Mrs. Dash Italian Blend or basil, oregano, etc if you don’t have Mrs. Dash
- Boil pasta, set aside
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a pan until garlic slightly browns
- On medium heat, add in kale and cover to wilt slightly (about 3 minutes)
- Add in coconut milk and increase heat slightly, stirring
- Sprinkle in a little Mrs. Dash
- Allow kale to wilt further until it gets to the desired consistency. Mine was about 5 minutes, but if you like crunchier kale sauté for less
- Stir in cheese until it’s melted (might stick to the kale, if so, separate with spatula or add more coconut milk)
- Pour over pasta and enjoy!