Though this past week was busy, busy, busy and with the week approaching filled with tests, papers, and yes, Mardi Gras, there was no time to dive into some exciting new wellness topic for me to discuss. BUT, there is always time for granola.
Bet you’re drooling just reading the title of this recipe, right? This granola is crunchy, sweet, and the sour cherries are a tart contrast to the nutty hazelnut flavor. I’d never toasted hazelnuts before so that was a new experience and it made the house smell amazing. I also realized how addicting tart sour cherries are. I had to restrain myself from eating the entire bag before I dumped it into the granola.
This granola is perfect on yogurt or almond milk for a tasty breakfast. Personally though, I find myself taking handfuls as I walk by the jar all day. It’s addicting and so delicious.
Before diving into the recipe, here is how to toast the hazelnuts:
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Spread the hazelnuts out on a baking sheet and bake for 8-15 minutes until lightly brown. I did about 8 because they still have to cook again with the granola
- Wrap the nuts in a kitchen towel and let them sit for a minute or two
- Rub the hazelnuts in the towel to remove skins, don’t worry if they don’t all come off
- Let cool completely
Now for the fun part…
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 3 tbs raw cacao powder (regular cocoa powder works perfectly fine)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped sour cherries
- Preheat oven to 325
- Stir together all of the dry ingredients, except the cherries, making sure that the cacao powder is evenly distributed
- Add in the coconut oil and maple syrup and stir to ensure all the oats are coated
- Spread out the mixture on a baking sheet
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly brown. I did 20 but I have a powerful oven. Also make sure to stir occasionally to allow for even cooking
- Let cool and add cherries to the mix
- Store in mason jars or a sealed container and enjoy!